According to the kibre- negest (Book of Kings) written in 14th century , it was the capital of the legendary queen of Sheba in the 10th century BC, it does seem certain that a high civilization was established here in Axum. Axum is renowned for its cathedral of St. Mary of Zion, where legend has it, the original Arc of covenant is housed. Axum is also famous for its 7 mysterious monolithic stelae, hewn from single pieces of solid granite. This site is registered by UNNESCO as world heritage.
Gondar, which Emperor Fasiledes founded as his capital in 1636, is the site of numerous castle-like palaces, dating from the 17th and 18th centuries. The city was Ethiopia’s capitals until the reign of the would-be reforming Emperor Tewodros II, also known as Theodora. The Portuguese influenced Gonderian castles built from 16th century up to 17th century are registered by UNESCO as a world heritage.
A city carved from legend-a medieval settlement in the north. The 11 rock-hewn monolithic churches, believed to have been built by king Lalibella in the late 12th century. These notable structures are carved inside and our-side of the solid rock, and are considered among the wonders of the world. Each building is architecturally unique, and several of them fascinating rock paintings which is registered by UNESCO as a world heritage.
Harar which comes in to existence in 1520 is Ethiopia’s Islamic traditional city. It offers colorful contrast, particularly in the eastern part of the country.Infact; there were Ethiopian Muslims during the life time of the Prophet Mohamed. This rich religious history is brought to life in the romantic walled city of Harar, considered by many Muslims to be a holy city of Islam and an important center of the Islamic faith on Africa continent since the 10th or 11th century A.D.with circular wall.
BAHIR DAR is a pleasant city situated at the eastern shore of LAKE TANA, the largest lake in Ethiopia. The ancient island monasteries on the lake are known for their very old treasures and parchment. They have been the site of pre-Christian shrine. The BLUE NILE FALLS is one of the most spectacular falls in Africa. The thunderous noise and the rainbow formations combined with the luscious vegetation teems and variety of bird lives make it the most impassive falls amongst the whole Nile Rive.
Yeha is situated in the northern mountainous section of the Tigray region. Although today this small settlement survives as a shanty town, it was once a site of great pre-Axumite civilization. Believed to be Ethiopia's first capital, Yeha was first uncovered in a complex archeological excavation around a courtyard at the beginning of the 20th C. The first settlers of this area, the Sabeans, were the founders of the Axumite kingdom.
The temple of Yeha, with one side of its walls in ruin, is otherwise still intact and testifies to the advanced level of the people of those times. There is no trace of mortar being used to build the temple of which the inside of the walls was believed to be have been paved with gold.
The archeological excavations made in 1909, 1947 and 1973 respectively, reveal that this beautiful temple was destroyed by fire. Treasures such as gold rings, golden lions, stone-engraved inscriptions written in Sabean, stone-carved animals like the Walya ibex (one of Ethiopia's endemic mammals), pottery works and others were uncovered. Some of these findings are displayed in the 4th-century church museum found in the same compound as the temple while others are displayed at the National Museum in Addis Ababa. The twelve underground formations and four other very deep cave structures (which seem to lead to Yemen, Lalibela, Jerusalem and Axum), increase the area's importance in terms of both archeological research and tourism.
Over 125 rocks hewn churches are recorded in Tigray region. The rock churches of Tigrai do not function primarily as tourist attraction they were generally excavated using a very different method from that at Lalibela, the antiquity of most of the Tigraian rock-hewn churches remains largely a matter of speculate. Every church has its own oral tradition regarding its excavation, in many cases the church is dated to the reign of Abreha-we-Astebeha the twin Emperors of Axum who converted to Christianity in the middle of the 4th century. There are a number of explanation given as to why the rock-hewn churches of Tigrai were so often carved in to relatively inaccessible cliff face, was it for security, or for spiritual isolation, or simply because cliff face are inherently good place to carve churches and cliff face are inherently inaccessible? Certainly the mentioned facts keep away outsiders and made the rock churches intact. Some of these rock hewn churches are pre-Christian temples, which was changed to church after the spread of Christianity in the northern Ethiopia. Most of these churches are difficult to access since they are carved on the top of the cliff, thus visitors who are interested to visit have to be physically fit, the rock churches can be visited form the Mekele or on the way to Axum, from this wokro Churckos and Abreha-we-Astebeha are the most reachable. Most of these churches are found on the Gera-Alta chained Mountains Also these magnificent churches can be visited on the eastern and southern Tigray area. According to client interest we organize a special tour package which will combine trekking and camping.